Friday, February 12, 2010

Learning from the experts

One of the best ways to learn how to write a great novel is to study the books that other authors have written.  I love suspense/mysteries and naturally that is what I want to write.  All the books say to write what you like to read, which makes a lot of sense. 
     Brandilyn Collins is a very talented Christian writer.  I love reading her books.  They are suspenseful and keep you on the edge of your seat...that is why her books are called "seat belt suspense." She is also very good with character development.  I decided to critique her book Violet Dawn, to see how the book was structured.
     The first thing I did was read the book from cover to cover, and write the POV (Point of View) at the top of each chapter.  I was reading this book at the same time that I was learning about "Story Threads."  Story Threads are different stories that are taking place in addition to the main story plot....this is what will help to keep your story interesting as well as give depth to your story.
      So on the computer I would type chapter one and titled it Main Story Thread (because this was the main theme of the book).  Then the second chapter switched scenes to another character and what was happening during the same time as chapter one....so this was Story Thread Two....then in Chapter Three the scene switches back to Story Thread One.  Chapter Four adds a new character and what is happening with her so that becomes Story Thread Three.  I did this at every chapter until I reached the end. 
     Then I color coded each story thread a different color and printed it out.  I was able to see the weave of the different story threads all through the book ....since I am a visual person this really helped me see how this is done.  In this book Brandilyn has Six Story Threads!  If you are a visual person this might help you too.
     This also showed me that at every chapter she would switch scenes and some of those chapter would end in cliff hangers and you would just HAVE to keep reading.  Each character that she introduced was dealing with their own issues which really gave her characters depth.
     She also uses background in a very cleaver way, but that is for another post.  By keeping her chapters short, she is able to switch scenes smoothly. 
     If you like a good Christian Suspense please check out Brandily Collins. You can visit her blog at http://www.forensicsandfaith.blogspot.com/ check out her books they are very, very, good.  I pray that someday I will be that good.  Lord willing. 
     Well better get back to my own writing.
 Blessings and hugs!








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mom! Great post. Yes, story threads definitely make a book much more interesting. :) Keep up the fabulous work on your manuscript; I can't wait to read the whole thing! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Love your sight. Love the black and white. Hope it is a big success!!! Sissy

Pamela said...

Thanks Kayla!!

Sissy...thanks for visiting my blog I hope you will come back soon for a visit.

Unknown said...

Hi Pamela,
I thought I'd drop by and much to my delight your a Brandilynne fan too. I used her books as guides as well. She invited me to her facebook page were she has little workshop called word of the day. You are encouraged to be creative and write a sentence. I met great friends there. http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&tid=1213096226632#!/brandilyncollins?ref=ts

I'd love to be able to swap a few chapters with you. :)

Diane Velikis
www.diane-velikis.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/dvelikis
Email; Dreamcatcherdv@verizon.net