Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What about the "P" word?

This morning I was reading the book Fiction Writer's Brainstormer by James V. Smith on Plagiarism.  I never knew before reading this, exactly what constituted Plagiarism. 

Plagiarism is presenting another's writings as one's own.

So how can you borrow from these great writers without adding footnotes to your novel?  Well James V. Smith says to read. Take notes and lots of notes.  I about fell out of my chair when he wrote that he reads with a pen in his hand.  That is EXACTLY what I do!! 

I thought to myself ....well Pam you even act like a writer and you didn't even know it...so you must BE a writer..ha.

Since I have been on this Novel Journey I can't read a book now without a pen...I mean you never know when you will need to underline some great line or write some notes in the book.  (Make sure the book you are writing in is yours and NOT someone elses).

You should never copy a large section without giving credit.  You can however, take something out of a sentence and tweak it to serve your purpose.

Hugs ;)

2 comments:

Gloria said...

Hey,
Thanks for the nice comment. You are such a good friend! Your blog is looking great! I'll call soon so we can talk.
Love and hugs,
Gloria

Pamela said...

Love you Gloria!!
My dear, dear friend. Hugs!