Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Are You Making a Scene?

The past couple of days I have been reviewing my first three chapters. I have learned if I read them aloud to myself I can better determine if the story flows or not. I wrote an outline of how I want my scenes to evolve, but I am having a hard time picturing the scene. I need to put details in so that the reader feels as though he is in the scene himself. Those little touches that make it "real."
When I write a scene I try to picture it, like a scene in a movie. I play the scene in my mind like a movie reel moving forward. What is happening, where are the characters and what do they see, smell, feel, taste.
If you are having trouble with scenes in your story, I would like to recommend the book Make A Scene by Jordan E. Rosenfeld. His book is very clear and precise and easy to understand. I love the way he breaks down the elements that make up a scene. Instead of looking like a scene as being a single thing, think of it as many elements working together.
Here are the basic elements that make up a scene:
Interesting and layered characters that have undergone some type of change since the beginning of the story.
Pov for each scene. (from whose eyes will you view the scene).
Action that takes place in real time.
Dialogue that is memorable and necessary for the scene.
New plot information that moves the story forward.
Testing of your characters through conflict and drama, revealing their personalities.
Using many senses to describe the physical setting, causing your reader to be drawn into the scene.
Exposition and summary in small amounts only.
I realize that what makes a scene a scene is action but well-balanced scenes include a little bit of everything above.


Happy writing!


1 comment:

Gloria said...

Hi,
Thanks for the comment! :)
I get my pictures mostly from Julia. She likes to take a lot so I get to borrow from her, isn't she sweet?
Love,
Gloria